Pages

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Deja Dead by Kathy Reichs

I have to admit that I am a fan of both Bones and Castle. They're definitely on my guilty pleasures TV list. I found the former when I was in graduate school and watching only Netflix shows that were binge-worthy (see also: Murder She Wrote). The latter I found last year, when I was too lazy to change the channel on my TV and I didn't mind the handsome Nathan Fillion on my screen every day after work. I am way too into the Castle-Beckett relationship now, but I haven't watched anything since they got engaged. Gawd she's pretty.

Given my fondness of the shows, I'm surprised it's taken me this long to check out the books that inspired them. The audiobooks are wait-listed from my public library download site, but I wasn't too far down on the list for the first Bones book: Kathy Reich's Deja Dead. 

I listened to it in about a day and a half. It went quickly, and I was surprised when I noticed there were only 30 minutes left in the book. I guess that means things wrapped up a little bit quicker than felt natural, but not alarmingly so.

At introduction, there are a lot of differences between the TV and book characters of Dr. Temperance Brennan. I have to admit to liking TV Brennan better: she's a little bit more calculated and self-assured than Book 1 Brennan. Plus she doesn't have the same history that book Brennan has (divorce, grown daughter). But I'm looking forward to seeing how she develops in the books.

Some of the book's characters have similar/same names to the show, and I smiled with all the French crossover that happens with the Caroline Jones TV character always saying "cherie" with such attitude, which is clearly drawn from the French Canadian book roots.

Just checked my local library and Bones #2 Death du Jour, is not available on audiobook or for reading. But #3 is right there for the taking. Hmpf. You can be darn sure I'll do this in the right order. It just might take me a while.

... Stay tuned for an update when I finally get the first Castle book!

No comments:

Post a Comment