Pages

Monday, March 9, 2015

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

When I picked up Paula Hawkins' The Girl on the Train for book club, I was amazed to find myself so invested in the story that I couldn't put it down! I actually read the book in one morning. Easy to do, since it isn't too long and the pages aren't all full of text.

It was the format of the plot that made The Girl on the Train so bingeworthy. The book was compared to Gone Girl when we selected it, and I couldn't agree more. Who's the bad guy? Who's telling the truth? We're getting Anna's POV now, holy cow! Unlike GG, I didn't constantly try to solve the book, I just wanted to read until it was revealed to me. I can't even claim to have figured it out until it was so clear that I couldn't miss it. I love when a book can keep you guessing without interrupting the flow of reading.

Also, I like that this book is a bit realer than Gone Girl. The people are so bad, and so creepy, because they're in real-life, believable settings. It's scary, and as a woman I felt like it's easier than I would like to think to end up in a relationship with one or all of those problems.

Who would I like to see in the movie roles? That's a question I anticipate coming up at the book club meeting for sure.

Rachel: Jennifer Lawrence or Kristen Bell    Megan: Hannah Simone    Anna: Felicity Jones
Tom: Andrew Scott      Scott: Chris Pratt     Therapist: Satya Bhabha

No comments:

Post a Comment